The sugar and oil are what is giving the acidity in the tomatoes balance. The sugar counters the acidity while the oil almost acts like a vinaigrette. You’re basically making a hot tomato salad dressing.
QUICK TOMATO SAUCE
3 ripe tomatoes
4 cloves of garlic – finely minced
medium yellow onion – finely diced
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 oz sugar
2 oz italian parsley – coarsely chopped
3 oz extra virgin olive oil – the good stuff
s & p to taste
1. Sauté onions, garlic and dried oregano in sauce pot on low until it’s all golden brown and see through.
2. While you’re caramelizing your onions and garlic cut the stems out of the tomatoes and cut them in half. Squeeze out some of the seeds and place the tomatoes in a blender. Puree the tomatoes.
3. When your onion/garlic mix are ready to go add the fresh tomatoes puree and sugar and cook for 10 minutes until some of the tomatoes juice evaporate and reduces.
4. Take the sauce off the heat and whisk in the olive oil, almost like a vinaigrette. Add the parsley, salt and pepper.
5. Pour into a jar and seal tightly and as long as you didn’t let the sauce sit around it will be hot enough to make the jar seal. Or you can just, you know, eat it right away.