Shakshuka, Huevos el Diablos, Eggs in Purgatory….all different regions with different variations of this timeless dish made of eggs baked in tomatoes, chilies, herbs and spices. If you want to make this recipe a little quicker you can use an already made tomato sauce and just add the chipotles and spices to it then cook it down starting with step 3.
Serving size: (1)
If you want to serve more, double the recipe and use a larger pan. More eggs can easily be added as well.
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup onions – finely diced
1 TBL garlic – minced
3 chipotles – roughly chopped
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Pinch of cumin
2 tomatoes (cores removed) – pureed in a blender
2 TBL cilantro – roughly chopped
1. In a 8″ cast iron pan sauté the onions and garlic for 5-10 minutes until translucent. Add the chipotles, oregano and cumin and sauté for a few more minutes.
2. Purée the tomatoes and add to the pan.
3. Cook the sauce over medium-low heat until almost off of the liquid cooks out and it becomes very thick and paste-like. The mixture should be thick enough to push aside and make pockets for the eggs.
4. Make two divots in the sauce and add your eggs to them.
5. Bake at 375 until the eggs are cooked. About 10 minutes.
6. Sprinkle the cilantro over the eggs and serve with a grilled bread or tasty toast.
Follow along on Instagram: @kitchenandcook